Sunday, November 27, 2005

Afghan army 'stops Kabul blast'

The Afghan national army has arrested six people driving cars packed with explosives into Kabul, the defence ministry spokesman has told the BBC.
"The Afghan national army and other security forces have stopped a very dangerous attack which could have taken innocent lives," Gen Zaher Azimi said.
Meanwhile, the governor of the eastern Nangarhar province has said he was the target of a failed suicide attack.
And four Afghan policemen who were feared abducted are now back at base.
Gen Azimi said the defence ministry and International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) had launched an investigation into the attempted attack in Kabul.
He said the army had seized two cars, one of which, a land cruiser, contained explosives and a gas cylinder, as well as weapons and communications equipment.
Afghan security officials say they fear more attacks in Kabul.
Earlier this month, eight people were killed in two suspected suicide car bomb attacks.
Nangarhar incident
Also on Saturday, Gul Agha Sherizi, Governor of Nangarhar province, told reporters he had been planning to visit the road construction site where a bomb exploded on Friday night.
He had visited the area several times over the past few days and believed that he was the target of Friday's attack.
He said the attempted suicide attack must have been carried out by a foreigner, not an Afghan.
The director of security in Jalalabad earlier told the BBC that a man had died while trying to plant the bomb.
Eyewitnesses told the BBC that at least three civilians were injured in the blast.
'Hekmatyar stronghold'
A spokesman for the interior ministry told AFP news agency that four policemen, feared abducted after another militant attack in Logar province, returned home late on Saturday.
Logar's deputy police chief told the BBC that Taleban fighters had attacked a police station and taken the four men.
But an intelligence official accused Gulbuddin Hekmatyar's Hezb-e Islami group of carrying out the attack.
Logar is a stronghold of the Hezb-e-Islami.
Gulbuddin Hekmatyar is a former mujahideen leader, who fought against the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan.
He fled Kabul when the Taleban came to power in 1996, but is now reported to be engaged in the struggle against US- and Nato-led forces in Afghanistan. No one has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Swedish soldier
In a separate incident, a Swedish soldier died as a result of injuries caused by a roadside bomb blast in the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif on Friday.
Another soldier is in a "very serious" condition, the Swedish armed forces said in a statement. Two other soldiers were injured in the explosion.
There are about 100 Swedish troops in the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) in Afghanistan.
More than 1,200 people have been killed in violence linked to militancy in Afghanistan this year.
Story from BBC NEWS:http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/south_asia/4472760.stmPublished: 2005/11/26 15:51:41 GMT© BBC MMV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home